Get the latest "2020 focus" email updates; email your name, business name and email address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Smithfield 2020 team
Smithfield 2020 is a project team dedicated to identifying, evaluating and promoting initiatives that contribute to the economic and cultural vitality of the Historic District of Smithfield, Virginia. Its members include representatives from Historic Smithfield, the Isle of Wight / Smithfield / Windsor Chamber of Commerce, Historic District business owners, the Isle of Wight Arts League, the Town of Smithfield, Isle of Wight County Economic Development and the Smithfield & Isle of Wight Tourism team.
Why is the project called "Smithfield 2020"? Two reasons. To imply clarity of vision - everyone involved has a shared commitment to where the initiatives are going. And to set expectations - while not all projects will take years to complete, reality dictates that many initiatives will be multi-year projects and some will be delivered in phases.
A list of completed 2020 projects is presented on the About Smithfield 2020 page.
The Main Street gas line replacement project
Updated 4/13/18 -
Ladies and gentlemen, Main Street is open!
No barrier, orange barrel or detour sign in sight.
Updated 4/9/18 -
One milestone to go
Updated 3/26/18 -
Two milestones to go
Updated 3/16/18 -
One more block to go
Updated 3/3/18 -
200 block, take 2
Updated 2/23/18 -
300 block is wrapping up; time for the 200 block
Gas line project working its way down the 300 block
Gas line project resumes Monday
Project is about to begin
Notes from 12/7/17 briefing by Columbia Gas
Smithfield’s $755,000 gas line replacement project is part of a state-wide effort ($37 Million in 2017) to upgrade its infrastructure. Main Street lines date back to 1983; it’s time for an upgrade.
- The project is scheduled to take 10 weeks and starts the first week of January;
- it begins with the 300 block – Cocke’s Lane (next to Visitor Center) down to Institute Street);
- progresses down to 200 block (Institute to Mason) and then to the 100 block (Mason to Church);
- full closure to vehicular traffic will be required in the block where work is underway;
- the work crew will accommodate as best as possible package (e.g., UPS) deliveries;
- if safety allows, vehicles may be given access overnight and on week-ends.
Service lines to businesses and private residences:
- Most, if not all, lines from the street to the gas meters will be replaced;
- customers will be given advanced notice of the work for their service lines and the cutover;
- access to the interior of the building will be required to complete the cutover;
- sidewalks will be closed when the service lines are installed to a building.
At the conclusion of the project, Main Street will be resurfaced. Asphalt is NOT being considered and the current brick crosswalks WILL remain.
If you are NOT a Columbia Gas customer, NOW is the time to request service. Installation fees to install the service line are waived (when the connection is within 150 feet of the main line) and the need to excavate the newly resurfaced Main Street will be avoided. To discuss a new service installation, please call Columbia Gas at 800-440-6111.
Check for updates throughout the project here, on Facebook/smithfield2020 or sign up for e-bulletins via email to email@example.com.
A summary of the gas line replacement project has been provided by Columbia Gas.
Useful and commonly requested resources
Façade Improvement Matching Grant program
Smithfield 2020 will match up to $2,500 an investment made by a commercial property owner in the Historic District if the work significantly enhances the façade of the building or the landscaping in front of it. The details are available in the program guidelines.
Business Resource Centers
Launching a business may seem like a daunting task. 2020 partnered with our friends at the Chamber of Commerce to assemble information and links to available resources to get you started and help in navigating the regulatory steps to set up shop. Check out the Chamber's Getting Started in Business page and our 2020 Business Resource Center.